Monday, January 12, 2009

knoxiecross

The first of three Knoxiecross weekends is officially over!! No frostbite or anything! I tried my very, very hardest to avoid 'cross this year, but I really feel like I should support the local series and go suffer with everybody else. Last years 'cross season started way back in October with the MSG series in Bristol and Johnson City. But this year, house projects, prior committments, and just plain laziness got in the way. But better late than never, right?

Saturday saw varying degrees of rain and temps in the high 30's for most of the day. Sunday saw colder temperatures, but luckily the rain gods spared us...finally. I tell ya, Knoxville is paying the price for that amazing November weather!!

pictures were sparse from Saturday due to the rain, but you can see the effect the rain had on the course and my clothes.



After I crossed the finish line on Saturday, I was met with heckling and questions on why I was so clean. "What!?" I said, "I'm filty!" And I could not understand why anybody would think I was clean. Take a look at the picture though; I'm far and away the cleanest of the bunch. What did you people do, swim in the mud?







Although there was no rain on Sunday, there was still plenty of water and mud on the course. Actually since this was day two of racing the same course, the conditions got worse.

Walking aka sinking in this mud was not a pleasant experience. Nasty, nasty, nasty.


I figured it would be a good spot to take pictures until I realized that the racers had very little say-so in how they got down the hill. I chose being injury free over a good photo op, but here's one of Dave that I captured before I ducked into the brush.


Since I am a freak and seem to never get cold while riding, I was very comfortable during the races except for my frozen right foot. Somehow it got wet. Hmmm.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wow! You are fairly clean in comparison to the rest of them! haha!

Sharon Thompson said...

How fun! I would love to play in the mud with you:)