Monday, June 9, 2008

Discburner

On Saturday, I paid my dues and helped my fellow cyclists by volunteering for the Discburner. The Discburner is a 6 or 12 hour mountain bike race in which participants ride in a 8 mile loop over and over again until they die. Sometimes literally, but most of the time not literally.

These things seem pretty popular and I don't really get it.

Run to your bikes! Hurry! The race is only 6 hours long!


I was pretty lucky because I got to hang out under a tent all day in the 95 degree heat. Dave tried to make me stand at the road and direct traffic, but I said to myself, "self, there ain't no way I'm standing next to the road in the 95 degree blazing hot sun." So I said, "I hope those mountain bikers remember to look both ways before they cross the street, 'cause I'm going back under the tent." Looks like the mountain bikers remembered what their mommas taught 'em, 'cause no mountain bikers got runned over by speeding cars.


Discburner Casualty

The dude on this bike had just started his first lap and all of a sudden, his bike broke in 4 places. WTF? That's a really, really expensive bike. I went over to take a picture and the guy goes, "you can unfold it if you want"...um, ok.

yeah Dad! (ps. the oldest competitor) I think he finished 5th in the 6 hour category.


I managed to snag a good amount of free stuff. The list includes, wool socks, beer, a pint glass, and an entire box of Grape Nuts Trail Mix Crunch Cereal. YUM!!! I LOVE that stuff.

Bad news, I dented my back bumper by hitting a grill grate that was hiding in the grass while trying to avoid a large truck and a tent. Thanks for the heads up girls that were standing right next to my car and the grill....

9 comments:

Sharon said...

Your so funny little bit...I love reading your blog cause you make me laugh....I love seeing what you do on your weekends...95 degrees...way too hot for me.

Maureen said...

you are so funnY! I agree with Shar! good pics from the race.
Callie had fun with you & Boo. she likes your house & so do we.
p.s.
Have a party!

Nicole said...

This blog is pretty funny...I know you were still hot underneath that tent.

ZaskarLE said...

I borrowed some pics off your blog for knoxville cycling but they got censored because people are lame and are concerned about bike shop/brand promo over people's safety. Shady indeed. The broken frame was probably just an isolated incident and if it is a problem that needs to be fixed in many similar bikes then it needs to be addressed. I hate how lame people are when it come to stepping on toes and free speech. Anyways cool photos from the race.

Dave Holmes said...

Hey now, you volunteered yourself for that road crossing. But yea, that was definitely a thankless miserable job. Spending any time out of the shade that day was brutally hot.

On the bright side I guess you'll get to think of that heat everytime you eat breakfast... for the next 2 months...

elizabeth said...

Did I really volunteer for that job?? Wow, the sun must've made me crazy for spell...huh, weird.

I forgot to say that you put on a great race. Good job, Dave.

Jeremy, that's total crap that they didn't let you post that picture. Somebody could really get hurt if that happens again.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the post - it was actually a fun day and not near as bad as I made it out to be.

Anonymous said...

wish i could ride my bike for 12 hours....well maybe not....eat tacos! yea!

ZaskarLE said...

E- if you want me to send you some pics/updates via e-mail from the research cruise send me your e-mail to: zaskarle at gmail

J

Lindsay said...

Bit- You are hilarious. I was thinking about who the crazy people are that would do that race and I thought of my dad and then I read that your dad had done it. What a bunch of crazy old biker men. :)