Thursday, May 7, 2009

SERC #5 AKA Kenda Cup East Opener

First XC mountain bike race - first win. I think I'm going to go ahead and retire before they make me upgrade to expert class and I start getting my butt kicked. Press release on the way. Stay tuned....

This race was a much more manageable and totally more enjoyable (and not because I won) 16 miles rather than the 100 that I suffered through the previous weekend. For all you runners, this is more like the 3k-5k of the mtb world. Yay!

Oh yeah, you know how it's been raining every day since umm, forever? My drivetrain was none too happy.

Here's the short and sweet report
Lap 1
Neutral start behind a motorcycle, sat in third for a few minutes as we started to to climb. I figured that if I had any chance, I should try to gap some people here, so I went by the two people in front of me and pulled away. I was really surprised no one went with me, but I kept going until the downhill, sloppy, wet, slippery singletrack section of the race was hit. Since I didn't think risking life and limb was worth a Sport category win, I pretty much farted around and was really careful until we got back to the road section to start the second lap. Apparently, I was too careful because two big guys surprised me on the road with the second place girl in tow. Tried to latch on, but they gapped me too quickly.
Lap 2
Quickly caught the girl that passed me on the climb, put some distance between us, and decided that I should probably work a little harder on the scary sections if I actually wanted to win. So, that's what I did - I scared myself a little and it worked. Go me.

the lady to my right threatened me about spraying my bottle of bubbly malty type alcoholic beverage
(ok, not really, it was more a request to not open it)


I wish I had a picture of me post race because I have never been so muddy in my life! I asked if there was a place to clean up, and I was directed to the river. I had no choice, I was going in.

Knoxville had a nice representation in the single speed category - Dave 3rd, Caleb 4th, and Doug Parker 5th.


You're doing it wrong! A. why does everybody put their arms in the air? and B. why are you going to hand me all this stuff if you want me to put my arms in the air?

2 comments:

Sharon Thompson said...

Congrats girl! First place...great job!

Maureen said...

ummmm...cuz they want you to say "woo hoo look at me! and look at all this stuff I got!"
Great job Bits! I am sure anything would've seemed more fun than a 100 miler with a wrong turn!