Friday, March 7, 2008

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Last Sunday I gave up a beautiful 70 degree day of riding to go help build trails at Hastie Park. Hastie Park is a 80 acre piece of land stuck in between the areas of Island Home/Ijams and Lake Forest neighborhood in South Knoxville that has recently been given the green light to become a mountain biking/walking (ok, we all know that really means biking only) trail system. Now, I am not a mountain biker, but I was kind of excited about this project because it is supposed to be geared more towards beginners which means the trails would be less technical, and I would have a lesser chance of hurting myself if I decided to wheel the fat-tired bike out of its hiding place in the garage. (the mountain bike has not seen the light of day in almost two years)

So all in all, it was a good day. A TON of people showed up, and we got more work done than anybody could have imagined. The first trail is almost finished, and if it ever quits raining, it should be ridable very soon.

So here's the punishment for my hard work - I got poison ivy. I NEVER get poison ivy. It took a couple of days to show up, but since then, it keeps getting worse and worse. Right now, I've got it on both legs and one arm. But I started scratching the other arm earlier today, so that arm is either feeling left out, or it's spreading over there too.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my....bless your little heart! hee hee......better slather on some of that pink stuff!

Sharon said...

That is not fun...Kev gets it all the time... I think from spud...but lucky me, i can roll all over him and I never get it:) Im sorry you got poison ivy but glad you were able to help out with the trail. Maybe someday when i come to K-town I can see it:) Take care!

Maureen said...

hey I didn't know you had poison ivy--was it gone by Sunday when I saw you?
And I love the fact that those trails are going to be right in our neighborhood--good for taking Callie for walks!
You need to move to our neighborhood & join our exclusive club!

ZaskarLE said...

The secret is to just keep scratching everywhere...you have to "chase" the itch away. It might git skeered and wander around a bit, but it will eventually leave.


Do I get to be "in the loop?" I just recently started a bloggy. L8tr Lizard.

elizabeth said...

Lucky for me, I don't get it that bad. It was just in little patches. But yeah, it's pretty much gone now.

Jeremy, I will consider putting you in the loop. What will you give me?

Derek said...

He will put you in the loop as well, and we will all be loopy!

ZaskarLE said...

I'm a genie in a bottle, baby
Gotta rub me the right way, honey
I'm a genie in a bottle, baby
Come, come, come and let me out

...and into your loop.

Dave Holmes said...

"Applications Welcome"...Niice.